By: David Murkison, Associate Director for Student Center Building Administration
The Student Center staff continue to do their part in keeping the spaces in and around our facilities safe and sanitized. Here are a few examples.
- Masks are highly encouraged: If you do not happen to have one, feel free to go to the Information Center on the first floor of Student Center East. A disposable mask is available to anyone that needs one. Students can check out two new masks in January even if they already received them for fall.
- Free COVID-19 testing available: All students, faculty, and staff can receive a self-administered COVID-19 test kit at the Information Center on the first floor of Student Center East. Individuals can take the test and submit it at the collection box by 1 p.m. the same day to have the test go out that same day. Test results have typically been received via email in 48 hours (about 2 days).
- As part of a university-wide project that identified buildings for installation, a UV lighting system was installed in the Student Center East air handlers. This is a process that may safely kill viruses and mold that could infiltrate HVAC systems.
- Hand sanitizer is available at all entrances and other locations within both Student Centers.
- The Student Center Building Services staff received new sanitation equipment that is used to spray a mist in the air that will safely sanitize a specific area. This process is done when a closed space is unoccupied. The process is completed in many public areas of the building on a weekly basis or more frequently if needed.
- Research has found that bacteria can live on the surface of cash for several days, so, for the safety of our campus community and guests, we no longer accept cash for services including, but not limited to, the following:
- Campus Tickets and Information Center Retail Sales
- Commercial Solicitation Reservations
- Cinefest Retail Sales
- Event Reservations
- Spotlight Programs Board events
We continue to accept credit cards and PantherCash, at our retail locations, and accept credit card and company/organization checks for event reservations, as well as certain Spotlight programs. This does not apply to PantherDining venues or vending machines in the Student Center. However, Panther Dining launched an online ordering system to be more convenient and to cut down on potential touchpoints.
- Offices and public spaces have plexiglass installed to add a layer of protection.
- Equipment was purchased to offer hybrid meetings in several meeting rooms.
We continue to welcome more students, faculty, and staff back into our facility. Every effort is being made to keep the Georgia State community safe.