Back on campus for the first time in a while, or on campus for the first time and feeling a little disconnected? One of the best ways to get the full collegiate experience is to get involved on campus. Here are 4 reasons why you should take the time to do more than go to class and go home.
1) You’ll make friends. Finding other students who share your interests is a great way to make friends. Student groups often have upper-level students in them that may share your major who can be a great resource to you. You also meet students who have had very different experiences than you which helps you to gain perspective on a variety of cultures.
2) You discover new interests. With over 400 organizations you can gain explore a variety of interests and you may end up with an entirely different career path once you explore some new subjects and fields of study.
3) You strengthen your leadership skills and build your resume. There are opportunities to get involved on campus that can complement your degree and make you an attractive candidate to a future employer. As you become more involved with an organization you can complement your experience with leadership training provided by Leadership Programs.
4) You’ll probably do better academically if you get involved. You enrolled at Georgia State to get an education, but a lot of important learning happens outside the classroom. Don’t pass up student engagement opportunities because you’re afraid they’ll take time away from your coursework and lower your grades. Several studies have shown a positive correlation between student engagement and academic success. It may even play a role in increasing your likelihood to graduate!
Multiple involvement fairs will be held in-person and virtually via PIN on the dates below. Registered student organizations at Georgia State are able to individually showcase their organizations while interested students are able to meet members and learn more about the organizations in attendance. This event allows students to meet a variety of groups at one time, find what organizations best suit them and allow the organizations to promote themselves and attain more members.
In addition to the student organizations, these fairs may include a variety of campus departments. The departments in attendance have the opportunity to connect with students and share valuable resources. The purpose of these fairs is to encourage students to make the most of their time at Georgia State University by exploring and getting involved with one or more of our 400+ organizations! Select the link for the fair that you are interested in to go rsvp in PIN.gsu.edu.
- Thursday, September 9 from 5 – 7 p.m. — Virtual Involvement Fair for all campuses
- Students must register in advance @ PIN.gsu.edu
- Tuesday, September 14, 11 a.m. – 2 p.m. @Clarkston
- Tuesday, September 14, 11 a.m. – 2 p.m. @Alpharetta
- Tuesday, September 14, 11 a.m. – 2 p.m. @Atlanta
- Wednesday, September 15, 11 a.m. – 2 p.m. @Decatur
- Wednesday, September 15, 11 a.m. – 2 p.m. @Dunwoody
- Thursday, September 16, 11 a.m. – 2 p.m. @Newton
If you have questions regarding any of the Involvement Fairs, please email [email protected].